6/13 & 6/14 Two days with friends in Syracuse


Goodbye Albany, Hello Syracuse!
      Friday morning started with me reading in Danielle's house and her waking up a bit hungover from her birthday merriment. That being said, I wished her a good morning and a happy birthday and she asked if I'd like to accompany her to the humble little garden level Hamilton Street Cafe that Jeany works at but she could never attend because she's always working the relevant hours. I of course, conceded and treated her to a birthday breakfast in an attempt to thank her for her hospitality. She dropped me at the bus stop and we hugged goodbye, glad to have met new friends. I had about an hour and while waiting for the bus to Syracuse, I finished reading the Chicken Soup For The Soul: Inspiration For Writers book my mom bought me. Overall, some of it felt a bit redundant but most of it was inhabited by strong and sincere anecdotes that jostled me into some thought. It was nice that each essay was usually only 4 pages maximum so they were quick and digestible and if you were inspired or occupied otherwise you didn't have to wait long to get back to work! I started writing a new song based on an account of the experiences of a friend of Owen's that might be called “David's Pursuer”. While on the bus I started reading Richard Bach's “One”. He is a favorite author of mine, and “One” is thus far a very philosophical, metaphysical book that casually brings up poignant and rattling ideas like parallel worlds, assessing our pasts and decision making and how there are infinite versions of ourselves based on all the permutations of choices we've made. “Bad things aren't the worst thing that can happen to us, NOTHING is the worst thing that can happen to us.” It is a good challenge and reminder to bring such ideas out into the world with me, while changing my surroundings, I'm also changing my inner workings as well! Leaving the overcast Albany behind, I eventually pulled into a sunny and summery Syracuse!

The Crowell Family

 My good friend Kyle Crowell whom I know from Oswego came to pick me up from the Regional transportation station around four o'clock with his girlfriend Helena, a sweet girl with a crass sense of humor and a cunning smile. We drove in a convertible that was fun but falling apart, it began to rain so we clumsily and promptly tried to put the roof up at a light to the laughter of a nearby trucker! We got back to the Crowell's house in Liverpool where I saw his parents again, two generous parents with a calm demeanor and a warm inviting aura about them. They asked me sincerely how my trip had been and what was new in my music life and about my impending show at Monirae's. It had been two years since I'd set foot in their home, (filmed a few fun videos at that time..."I couldn't Stay" and "What do we want") but it felt familiar and that strange feeling as though no time had passed! The Crowell's treat me as their own and offered me food and a guest bedroom with a queen size bed more comfortable than any accommodations back home! They even remembered that I love banana peppers and bought some in anticipation of my arrival!  Helena, Kyle and I went shopping at Wegman's (a trip full of whimsy) and bought a stir-fry that Helena cooked up when we got back home. While we cooked, she continued her tradition of watching festively watching Friday The 13th, which I didn't do much of, as I hate horror movies! The stir-fry was tasty, I practiced some songs and wrote my set-list in anticipation of my show at Moniraes in the nearby town of Pennellville! We cleaned the dishes and set off to my first show of the weekend.

The First Rap Act at Monirae's

     Monirae's is a casual dining bar with a big open secondary room with a stage for performers. It has a bit of a country vibe. Kyle and Helena helped me set up my merch table, which I incorporated the use of my new projector for the first time, to people's compliments and intrigue, I found it very helpful and I'd recommend it! I met Alan Parsons, who helped set up the show, a nice guy who informed me I was to open, which made me not just the first act to play that night, but the first rap related act to ever play at the venue (The rest of the bill, “The Last Tree” “Elisium” and “Mole and The LevelAntz” were metal bands)! Kyle took some really amazing photos of the show, I did a pretty good sized set and there were a nice amount of people there. My friend Alex from Oswego, Alan's brother, came to the show with his girlfriend and were a real attentive part of the crowd. I think a lot of people weren't sure what to do with themselves so I kept the crowd involvement to a minimum and just focused on delivering my material as best I could.

My set list was
“Quality Vs. Quarantine” (Creative Differences, A Split)
“Rush Hour '98” (unreleased)
   



     It felt like a good mix of my projects and had a good flow to it, the longest set of the tour at that point, and it was good to do extended time and let all this material breathe and flux between sounds and messages. Afterward I sold several CD'S and gave out a bunch of stickers in exchange for email addresses for my newsletters! Those who seemed to be at a distance due to what I misconstrued as a lack of respect or appreciation were really just wallflowers and the unlikeliest of people, Metal fans and real hardcore music fans were really appreciative and connected to my work. My favorite band of the night was probably Elisium, admittedly they were the least heavy of the bunch. They had a really cool message and sounds, they were pretty filled out as a three piece and had a great stage presence and a bit more accessible approach to me, as a non heavy-music guy. The members of Elisium hail from Virginia, were all really down to earth and have been on tour living out of a van for the past 6 months. We shared road stories and advice and exchanged info, promising to keep in touch. I highly recommend you support them, they have a real passion for their craft and a dedication to their music, sacrificing the comforts of home in exchange for bringing music to people and their dreams to fruition, I couldn't get behind that more! As the Rangers game wore on into double overtime, the music grew intolerably loud and heavy, Helena, Kyle and I said bye to our new and friends and retired for the night! Perhaps I've paved the way for some more diversity at Monirae's and opened the people of that venue up to some more alternative options musically! “One” can only hope!


6/14
Last day in Syracuse!
   Saturday was a really hot day, and I spent a lot of it inside writing.  At some point in the afternoon, Helena, Kyle and I went to the big ol' mall in Syracuse to get some fathers day stuff and goofed around and took silly pictures wearing dumb glasses. We also went to a really cool local record/cd/movies/games store called Soundgarden, incidentally named after a band I really enjoy! Soundgarden is a place you could get lost in, they have vinyl, cds, games, posters, clothing, memorabilia, record players all new and used. It's like an indie music lover's warehouse, they even have a cool local music section where I saw my Syracuse native friends Sophistafunk represented! It took a lot of will-power to resist the urge to pick up a bunch of vinyl and CDs and such, from obscure metal to popular music to underground rap classics and new CDs, they have it all! I talked to one of the guys about doing in-store events and performances and got some information about that and then we went home. Mrs. Crowell made a mouthwatering and delicious dinner for us that consisted of salad, pulled pork sandwiches, and baked beans with a blanket of bacon strips across the top of them that was absurdly good! We had homemade brownies with pecans for dessert and got ready for my show at the DIY venue Badlands with SPACEGOD and Late Earth




Good times Badlands
     “The Inevitable Effort” and “We'll Make It Together”, and the mastermind behind the comic “Late Earth” and guitarist and vocalist of the band of the same name.) I met him at Funk N Waffles on a tour a few years ago and we've remained friends since. Evan is a brilliant guy with a boatload of ambition (a big boat), and a huge heart. He and his girlfriend Destynee make up the two consistent and present parts of the larger group “Late Earth” and also SPACEGOD (Rob was to open)!
I had the opportunity to perform a show at Badlands thanks to my friend Evan Bujold (aka Attaboy, and the artist behind the covers of
Badlands is a small dirty but charming room next to the Spark Arts Center situated be neath artist apartments. It functions as a DIY music venue space that the public can rent out. It was lit by lamps you might use if you had a pet lizard, that were clamped into rafters. There was a sink in the corner that looked like the sinks in your high school art class, which I apprehensively revisited for water throughout the night. I immediately knew this was going to be an informal, intimate show (my favorite kind) and I was looking forward to it immensely.  
   
 Two sweet women Cara and Haley, obvious friends and artists with a good sense of humor were somehow volunteered to control the flow of the door money and sort of keep people informed. While they flipped through a pile of DIY magazines and chatted, I looked over a box of local vinyls, cassettes and cds that were for sale. I keep having this impulse to put a project out on cassette tape, however impractical (I'd put a download card in there too) and I think I know the project to do it with. After getting a sense of the room, Kyle and Helena, again helped me set up my little goodies table. Slowly the room filled in with people, it was great to see Evan and Destynee again and I met some great new friends! Kevin Fitzpatrick was in the crowd, a local journalist and speed chess player.  He was a really interesting guy who was super respectful in regards to the performers and was writing an article about Badlands and our event.  CLICK HERE TO READ KEVIN'S BADLANDS ARTICLE!  Helena's friend Jason drove an hour to come out and see her and come to the show, he was hilarious and really supportive of what I was doing as well. After the brief but enthusiastic flow of people ended, we began the performances.
    Rob opened up and played a funny and very informal set of acoustic songs that were vulnerable and sometimes playful. He has a great voice and sense of humor and his style translates well to a singer-songwriter approach, despite being used to playing primarily in heavier bands. Late Earth played and had a great mix of Evan's signature impressive guitar playing and lyrically dense/intelligent speed-talk-rapping and vocal harmonizing with Destynee's beautiful voice. They would trade off verses, sometimes share harmonies or layer vocals on top of each other. They definitely sucked the room in and had an awesome energy "on stage"! 
  I incorporated a few requests into my lengthy set that ran for about 45 minutes or so. Kyle had requested I do Carsick, which I did a capella, as well as AllOne & The Room's "Revealed" trilogy while Helena requested “Quality Vs. Quarantine” and said one of the lines “The only way to get love is to let some in” would make a great tattoo...stay tuned, because that might happen! Between crowd participation and just attentive enraptured listening, the experience was really sincere and connected.
Here is my set list thought I don't exactly remember the order of it
Sloth
Quality Vs. Quarantine
Rush Hour '98
Work In Progress

     Around 10:45 my set ended and I exchanged hugs and conversation and info with everyone. Several people bought CD's and signed my mailing list and took stickers and flyers. I wished Evan well requested that next visit we should hang out more and encouraged him to release a new volume of the Late Earth comic book, because it is amazing! While maybe the most run down venue, and not nearly the largest crowd (it's gonna be hard to be the size of the crowd at Everett) this was easily my favorite performance experience of the trip thus far!
It was advised that we go get milkshakes, as it was hot out and we were all hungry Kyle, Helena, Jason and I went to a really cool little vegan place called Strong Hearts Cafe. It was independent with an artful vibe, each of the items were named after famous artists and writers and the like. Helena treated me to a chocolate-banana-peanut butter shake named the Ken Saro Wiwa, which half of my decision was based on the fun pronunciation of the name, it was a delicious choice! It turns out that he is a Nigerian writer, television producer, and environmental activist, among other things, interesting, some concerns I can really appreciate!  Jason kindly bought a CD from me and we all exchanged hugs and parted ways. Kyle, Helena and I watched silly videos until we passed out, my last night in Syracuse was a blast.



Sometimes the rough IS the diamond,
beauty and strength awaits you everywhere!

-AllOne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)