"The Case Of Sydney Barringer" ("I've Been Thinking..." THOUGHT PROCESS Series 9/12)

“I've Been Thinking...” behind the songs “THOUGHT PROCESS SERIES”
My latest full length album, “I've Been Thinking...” released on the Savannah based label Dope Sandwich Records and Tapes May 3rd is a collection of concepts and narratives that I've written over the last few years featuring instrumental contributions from coast to coast and outside of the country as well. Looking over the collection I'd opine that it is some of my finest work to date (one would hope). What have you been thinking? Over 12 days I'll be releasing a behind-the-music sort of blurb for each track! If there are any questions or comments regarding the songs please submit them and I'll do my best to answer and fulfill them! I hope this series is of interest and that the music does something for you!


  The 9th track of the album, and one I had released an earlier mix of as a random single in December of 2014. I wasn't sure initially about putting this song on the album, but once I saw that there would be plenty of narratives feel on the record, plus the instrumental feels a bit like a Tony Mahoney instrumental to me so stylistically it would fit in plenty smooth.  The concentrated and precise narrative style depicted and utilized on this song is sort of one step in getting everyone ready/transitioned for what is to come when my mega project Rapologues arrives, and no one is as impatiently eager as I am, believe me! 
   "The Case Of Sydney Barringer" is a tragic, puzzling narrative inspired by and adapted from a vignette in the astounding Paul Thomas Anderson film "Magnolia".  P.T. Anderson borrowed and elaborated upon the fictional story of Ronald Opus, created and originally told by Don Harper Mills, then president of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, in a speech at a banquet in 1987.   

     When I first saw this segment in Magnolia, my immediate thought was "this is a brilliant narrative that I would try to write, and wish I did." So, as with "Pagliacci (A Most Memorable Case)" which this song predates, I borrowed it for my purposes and elaborated on the story.  However, unlike "Pagliacci...", I had little interest in using the tale to convey any particular message, I really loved the grim and devastatingly real conflict in the story contrasted with the absurd and shocking circumstances, and felt that, if I could manage to convey both of those things, or at least one well, it would make for a compelling yarn.
    I'm a huge fan of The Twilight Zone, and Rod Serling's writing and classic narrative style and voice.  I tried channeling that in my vocal delivery in this song and in the bluntness of some of the writing  (especially the beginning segment of lyrics).  The instrumental was produced by a rapper and producer friend "No One"!  I recommend you check out his music, he is a talented guy!

   By some celestial coincidence, my new roommate at the time, Paul Fakatselis went to school for audio engineering and is very talented in this field as well as generous with his time so he recorded and mixed this song for me (as well as Roamer and Seize In Caesium for this project and Dystopiates for Kill The Inventors' project Symptoms)!
   Here's a live performance of this song of  DJ BMO and I at RIPE ART GALLERY in Huntington, hosted, filmed and edited by the incredibly talented and generous folks over at NICE GARAGE!




I hope that you all enjoy the song, maudlin as it may be!
CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE PLUNGE AND LISTEN TO "THE CASE OF SYDNEY BARRINGER"
Remember to always be loving to one another...if not because it is right, then because it is safer, you never know who is a loaded gun!
-Bruce "AllOne" Pandolfo
Stick around tomorrow for the skeptic's perspective song "Unbelievable"!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)