AllOne NovEmbark Tour 2016: 11/27-11/29 Rhode Island with Drent and Kleen Kut

AllOne NovEmbark Tour 2016: 11/27-11/29 Rhode Island with Drent and Kleen Kut

Greetings AllOnderers,
I hope you are all alive and fulfilled and feeling well!  If you recall last in the misadventures of the AllOne NovEmbark tour, I'd had an invigorating performance and gluttonously celebratory visit home on Long Island and from there I departed Sunday to head on a short jaunt to Rhode Island to visit Drent and Kleen Kut and play some shows in the area for the first time since the Onederlust tour in summer of 2014... A diverse amount of experiences were had and they began with a short drive up....


Sunday 11/27 A Return to the Drent Family and A Satisfying Pawtucket debut

The drive up to Rhode Island was rainy but not entirely dangerous, by the time I arrived at the Drent residence, I was exhausted and greeted with immense love by Mrs. Lefebvre who flatteringly considers me a third son.  We caught up a while as Owen got ready for the show.  We were set to perform at The News Cafe in Pawtucket, of which I've heard nothing but good things!  If you remember Drent and I did a split EP produced by Tony Mahoney in 2014 called "Creative Differences (A Split)"! Since that record he started working on some solo projects including an EP he just released called FRAGMENTS: The Walking Nightmare Trilogy, a song series started by the song he and I did for our split called "The Walking Nightmare".  It is a gritty and dense emotional ride over three dusty boom bap instrumentals by the aforementioned Tony Mahoney and if you're into that sort of hip hop, which I am, I advise you to listen to it! As you may be be aware if you've followed these journeys, then earlier in the tour you may recall my show in Connecticut, where there we met Kleen Kut, who Drent is working with on a rap duo album called Edgar Allens Ave, Owen and Chris were the friends who I'd be staying with and performing the shows with.  P.S. as of the time of writing this, the Edgar Allens ave album is recorded and I've heard it and it is the best that Drent has done to date and is a fantastic project that I'm eager for you all to hear!

When we got to News Cafe it was an unassuming little bar in Pawtucket, a dive with a fun vibe.   In the crowd I got to see Dylan Titus again who I met in 2014 when Drent an I performed at the now-defunct The Spot Underground open mic the same week we recorded our split, he's a really sincere and supportive guy and talented experimental artist .We were sharing the bill with fellow rappers NiceJesse Ramos and producer D. Valor official.  I met a bunch of really cool cats in the line up and in the crowd, the first person to support and pick up an album was a friendly guy ISPOCKA honestly, everyone was so impressively responsive.  It was cool to see D. Valor actually get to play the songs he sampled from and then play what beats he made by sampling the songs and to have a producer do DJ interludes throughout the night kept things moving in a great way, he's a really talented producer and I am always mystified by beat-making so that was a joy for me.

Jesse Ramos @ News Cafe
Jesse Ramos was the first rapper to perform and he smoothly rapped a bunch of stream-of-consciousness lyrics, insights, personal views and clever turns of phrases over instrumentals both borrowed and original.  He had an unpretentious conscious rap approach to his whole aesthetic, very carefree and fun.  His stage presence was casual and relaxed as was the personal and affable demeanor he carried himself with.  He was very expressive about his support and seemed to just be enthused about being around people who also share his love of creation and expression!  We quickly became companions by the end of the night. Later he told me his whole set was him just performing random lyrics of his over random instrumentals he was pulling up because he hadn't had time to prepare a more full set.

I was really surprised by the amount of support and attention that my set garnered.  People were both reactionary and interactive as well as just watching respectfully and seemingly in awe of my material.  This sort of energy really had me in an excitable and charismatic mood so I really threw myself entirely into the set and was hoarse and pouring sweat by the middle of my performance!  Chris and Owen's extreme encouragement about what I do and their blessedly free way of expressing it is so fortifying in the best way possible and it was that sort of love that I was able to grow with and give back during a set I was very happy with.  It's always a trip performing and having people know the lyrics and rapping along, it's very jarring and invigorating as well!
My set:
Roamer
Build Here
Cardiac Compass (Path To Preservation)
Travel Baggage (Carry On)
Quality Vs. Quarantine
What's Your Problem?
Zoned Out
This Is For
later on I popped up to do Creative Differences during Drent's set.

Nice @ News Cafe
Nice went up after D. Valor spun played us some more incredible beats that just made me want to freestyle all night.  What I appreciated about Nice's set was he had a diverse display of a capella verses that played out like poetry and when the beats came on there were tales of ambition and violence as well as gritty personal realism with some more mainstream rap styles.


Drent and Kleen Kut closed out the night with a really polished, impressive and solid set from the two of them despite Drent being sick.  The show was a birthday celebration for him and he really threw himself entirely into the performance and over the last year Chris and Owen really have worked hard on their performance and their songs and they really come out with high energy and a sincere feeling of chemistry between them on the mic.  The way that their dynamic in the songs go back and forth and give one another space to display their talent and back on another up and feed back into choruses together and jumping around really made for probably the most energy of the whole show.  I think the fact that this was my first night in and they were rocking in their home turf on Owen's birthday made then really want to get wild and they surely killed it!  At the end of the show D. Valor played some beats and we all got on the mic to freestyle which I was dying to do so we passed the mic around and got open which was amazing.

Drent and Kleen Kut a.k.a. Illiterate Wordsmiths at News Cafe
Justin was running the sound at News Cafe and he and his lady Hannah are opening a DIY/independent music store within the venue and really enjoyed my music and asked me if they could sell my music in the store, so if you're in town at News Cafe, feel free to go pick up some cassettes and CD's!!

Monday 11/28 Drent's Birthday Firehouse 13

Monday night were featured performers during the weekly open MadCap Monday at Firehouse 13 in Providence, which was a fantastic time.  Although it was freezing out (and in) Firehouse 13, this event was awesome to be a part of, the building is effectively a big warehouse with a stage and a bar and plenty of room for artist to peddle their wares, which they certainly did. The series is run by the talented Nate Cozzolino and sound was run by Caleb (who was the aforementioned Jackie's boyfriend that I met back on Long Island.).  Caleb also ran up and collaborated singing and playing drums and guitar with several different people.  He was so kind as to forfeit his performance slot so that I could have more time to perform during the feature because we split the feature between myself Owen and Chris.   I saw an array of talented artists playing guitars, keyboard and singing, reading poetry, rapping and even local beloved lushes doing bizarre inebriated shock-comedy.  Mike Faria who performed last sounded like an acoustic mix of Staind and Maynard James Keenan of Tool, all night he was making and selling sandwiches on a George Foreman grill that I thought was very clever and then he performed songs from his Sgt. Baker and The Clones band, later he came over and offered me a CD trade that I took him up on, the album is pretty awesome admittedly, LISTEN TO THEM HERE.  Among the artists I met Tim Batty who was a goofy punk rocker and and a visual artist who set up next to my merch table as well.  I saw a pretty freaky and interesting art piece by him that I knew Jenn would enjoy so I ended up bartering with him for it, giving him a pin from my friends The Nightmare Police and some money.   I also met Missy who made really interesting jewelry pieces.  Most of the artists had a "make an offer" approach similar to what I explained and explored in my Washington DC post, but this time it was more like bazaar bartering without a tip jar which was pretty intimidating to me, because I didn't want to be insulting but I also knew I couldn't spend much on my tour budget!  Luckily, my exchange with Tim Batty worked out, and many people in the venue were blessedly supportive of my work, buying CDs, pins and tapes and giving me advice about the area and inviting me back! Performing on that stage was a lot of fun and I'm glad I get to return on Monday February 6th!
Multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter,
 sound manand altruistic new friend, Caleb
Performing a short set at
Firehouse 13's MADCAP MONDAY






















Tues. 11/29 An errand-prompting "Soaker" with the Lefebvres // Ironically Immortalizing A Graveyard // a late night interstate trip to reunite with family

In the morning we woke to find the day was raining hard, what the New Englander Lefebvres dubbed charmingly "a soaker".  In an almost social homage to my last big trip in 2014 when I was visiting the family, Owen's Mom Libby took me to IHOP again for breakfast and to catch up.  She is such a sweet woman and has a lot of inquiries about life as a creator and is a great listener who attentively gathers up information (she seemed to methodically want to know about my family life etc.) It is an interesting social characteristic and a reminder about listening and socializing to put forth genuine intrigue into your interactions with others and to learn from them.

To evade the soaker as well as help the family and make a little more money on the road thanks to Libby's generosity, Owen and I spent several hours helping clean the house.  It took a long time to take the myriad works of art and photography down that were all holiday themed and then meticulously organizing them through some ambiguous arbitrary system and taking the new winter-themed photos and pieces of art down from the attic for her to later curate the house with.  We also took an immense amount of their Christmas decorations down many flights of stairs and just as we became exhausted and bored of all of this, Owen's friends Alec and Julian came over to meet us to go get some footage in the dreary precipitation  for a music video they were shooting for our collaboration "Walking Nightmare" from our project "Creative Differences (A Split)" and now expanded upon in his new EP "Fragments: The Walking Nightmare Trilogy" .  We drove to a very old eerie local graveyard in the consistent rain and took a bunch of melancholy shots of me performing my part and Owen wandering around all ominously!  After a half hour or so, soaked and freezing but feeling accomplished after working with good people and getting work done.  Keep your eyes peeled for the release of that soon!
After we finished up the video, I packed my items up and headed off to Saugus, Mass to visit my Aunt Pat and Uncle Ken for the night and the next day while I was in the area, but we will leave that embarkation for another post... Rhode Island felt like a huge success, I met so many new people and had a great time with Owen and Chris during the two events.  Next, a nightime jaunt to family to a small town just north of Boston results in some delectable intake and then a crisis arises after a sudden decision to return to NYC... stay tuned!
Keep meeting people and fostering new relationships,
they will revitalize your old relationships as well as your relationship with yourself!
Thank you as always for your time and support,
-Bruce "AllOne" Pandolfo






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)