"Dear Sheila" (National Poetry Writing Month poem-a-day) Day 18

written by Bruce A. Pandolfo
4/18/2017

Dear Kevin,
So kind of you to write to me 'round Christmas,
You're a darling of a man, see it's lonely here in prison.
I'm hot-headed, I admit it, if I'm at my wit's end
Get me a wick and my fiery intentions can be wicked.
I've got thick skin...I'd show it to you when you visit.
When the cops came around, they all wanted to bare witness.
I really don't belong here Kev,
I've been longing to hear from you again.
I'm warming up to you, it's nice to have a friend.
I promise I'd never treat you like Michael and Ken.
He was sweet, but frustrating, he was an idiot,
not like you sweetheart, my! Your writing is so brilliant!
See..Ken was a bumbling burden, the bottom of the barrel,
I wrote you a poem enclosed in this note, suppose it is a carol.
I'll be out before long, I'm strong, I'm resilient,
Sooner or later they're going to get over all this silliness,
They treat me like a criminal when all I need is support.
I know these prison walls all in all oughta be padded I'm sure.
With a little help, this firecracker could snuff her short fuse!
It lights me up and delights me just to know I'm your muse!
I'm amused by your charms Enthused to be on your arm
I'm confused about my barn, I could use you on my farm,
Could you check on my animals? I'm alarmed!
I really feel you're helping peel layers from my heart,
Until next time honey,
always warmly,

Sheila Labarre


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)