AllOne NovEmbark Tour '16: 11/17 & 11/18 Adventures in New Haven

NOVEMBARK TOUR: 11/17-11/18 NEW HAVEN

To start off the trip yesterday I headed off to New Haven for my debut there at Cafe 9, a spot I'd been to autumn of last year where I saw my friends Dope Knife, Miggs Son Daddy, FarOut, EyeNine and Zak G. perform.  The show was with Dodgy Sorts, Average Citizen, Dave DeLucia, Drent & Kleen Kut !!  The drive in my new car was comfortable and the gas mileage is bonkers, made a couple of phone calls with my fancy new bluetooth situation which was nice, I hit traffic but I watched the sun setting, a time lapse with my GoPro as well.  A few hours later I arrived and met up with Collin (Dodgy Sorts) who is a unique and really intelligent guy.  We talked and played the drums and then headed out to the show at Cafe Nine which was a lot of fun, the crowd was modest and there was a lot of love and talent in the room!  Please go ahead and click the links above to check out the performers' sites!  Our friend Ceschi of Fake Four Inc. came out to the show to hang out which was relaly cool of him.  Dave DeLucia played a bunch of really well written songs with his electric guitar that reminded me at times a little of one of my favorite albums, Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild Soundtrack ! Dodgy Sorts and Average Citizen performed a specifically hope-inspiring intellectual brand of hip hop, both insightful and meaningful.  Kleen Kut made a surprise appearance to join Drent on stage for the best Edgar Allans Ave set I've seen them play!  I think their album is going to be fantastic, looking forward to playing with them at News Cafe on the 27th and Firehouse 13 on Drent's Birthday on the 28th!
Kleen Kut, Drent and I after the show, Drent
with particularly great choice of clothing...
Here was my setlist:
I Get Down
Roamer
This Is For
Zoned Out
Cause & Effect
Creative Differences
Travel Baggage (Carry On)

After some freestyling goofing off and catching up in the eerie reverberating vacant streets of 2am New Haven, the Edgar Allens Ave guys and I said goodnight and went our seperate ways.
New Haven DAY 2...Meandering the Microcropolis

My friend Annie (who is also a childhood friend of my father's) offered to meet up for lunch with me the next day so I stayed the night in New Haven to ensure another adventure!  As a bed, my car left a lot to be desired as compact as it is, but that wasn't so bad and my sleeping bag is really comfortable and warm so despite my legs being bent to angles that might convince crickets to call me kin it was totally feasible!  I had breakfast at the rest stop and wrote for a little and then met up with Dodgy at this great art spot and coffee shop called Koffee? on audobon street.  They had a glass case of a delicious collection of treats and a huge list of coffee options.  Koffee is a place I would absolutely recommend anyone to go to and I hope I perform there one day, it is quite a bohemian watering hole, packed tight with young people hunched over books and laptops working busily under the watchful eye of portraits.  One of my favorite parts about Koffee there are doors that open out into an irregularly shaped courtyard area with benches and a little sculpture garden with big iron fire escapes that wind crookedly against brick buildings donning clinging ivy regalia.  Dodgy and I had a great conversation ruminating on art, music, charity, travel and more while I waited to meet with Annie, which I eventually did.

Mind Exploding
Lobster/Chorizo Sausage
Mac N Cheese
Annie met me near one of her favorite places, Geronimo in New Haven which is a higher end Southwest bar and grill with fun decorum, a spiral staircase (one of my favorite things) and a really wild menu.  Annie is kindhearted and gregarious woman, one of those people who is unafraid of talking to anyone, she sparked up conversations with our table neighbors, our waitresses and promoted me to people with such high praise.  She was excessively generous to me and just that morning she bought lunch for a homeless man she saw sitting out by a Dunkin Donuts, whom she talked to for a short time and imparted the idea, upon reflecting that, "not all people who are on the streets are there for bad reasons, and they're all people."  She was a great warmth to be around.  Geronimo was very well chosen, what a wonderful place!  They brought out homemade guacamole, chips and salsa, each menu item was more incredible than the last and we tried elk and buffalo chili for the first time which was spicy and then this insane lobster mac n cheese with chorizo sausage and chiles...it was unreal!  With full bellies we opted to walk
Chili Trio: Hatch Green Chiles
Elk Chili and Buffalo Chili!

From there, by talking to a group of women with Annie's aforementioned social bravery we found out that one of her favorite dairy farms, based in Litchfield, Arethusa had a storefront location nearby, where Annie raved about their homemade ice cream and warm homemade waffle cones.  We both bought toasted almond with toasted coconut cones.  They made drippy and sweet companions to the cool autumn day as we wandered about.
Here's a little tip...do not get waffle
cones full of ice cream if you have a
thick moustache or unless you have
a beach towel sized amount of napkins!
New Haven is such an interesting place to explore, a little microcropolis that offers an interesting juxtaposition between modern buildings with interesting and ornate architecture and old archaic buildings like Yale (which was breathtaking and reminded me of being in Italy in 2015!).  Every few storefronts there is a boutique or a restaurant, a bar or a music venue and all sorts of cool things  I can't impress upon you how intense of an experience Yale is to see, the towering buildings that are as marvelous and meticulously crafted as ancient European cathedrals, students wheeling around string instruments through vast courtyards.  Perhaps what was most bizarre about Yale was seeing two Alpaca there just wondering around.  Intelligent alpaca to be at Yale!  Shortly after taking photos with the  Annie and I found a little sale in a church and I got a collection of Stephen Crane stories for 50 cents, perpetuating my inexhaustible to-read bookshelf, but when I see books I think I'll read eventually I figure I should pick them up when there is an odd circumstance and affordable price even if I may not read the book until years later (ironically, when I may have forgotten where I got to book in the first place!).  Antoinette was such a social energy of compassion and open to everyone, it really opened up the door to adventure and it was a reminder that being open to other people and inviting yourself into the world and the world into yourself is a sure way to really truly experience and embrace the spontaneity of life that makes it so special.
We parted ways and I took the ferry back home, glad that I had opted last minute to take the second day in New Haven to experience a new adventure, even though I had only stayed out one night, took a few hours of travel, played one show and met some new people and wasn't even away from my typical daily life for all that long, I felt really revitalized and encouraged and that is exactly what I put this haphazard set of shows and journeys together.  I came home feeling so energized and excited and also terribly exhausted at the same time!   Looking forward to my show at Katies' tonight with Kill The Inventors, BMO and a slew of other folks! I'll be performing in Connecticut again with Dope KNife, Zak G, Esh and some other folks at Stella Blues Tuesday Febuary 2nd!

MAKE TIME WISELY TO SPEND TIME WISELY!
Thanks as always for reading these blurbs, I hope to see you on the road, if you have any shows or venues or parties or anything, I'd love to be a part of them, keep in touch!
-Bruce "AllOne" Pandolfo









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)