Nashville Day 1 ( Steve, food shopping, new music and a small world)

Good morning from Nashville!
After Alexa and I got off the Megabus on Saturday afternoon, and experienced the funny encounter from the last post, we the bus pulled away and we waited for the public bus. The sun was high and enjoyable, the bus finAlly arrived and stopped at a Different sign about a hundred feet before the one we were standing at, and so, confused, we figured we would wait for it to come stop at our sign. Despite us blatantly waiting and waving for the bus to pick us up, it apathetically drove past us! There are hour long increments in between each buses' arrival so we began to walk to a least kill some time.
As it turns out, there are many hills in that part of town.
A bus picks us up, but it is strangely a two piece bus with an accordion type connector, and with the bus crammed, I stood in front of the first piece while Alexa sat in the second back section and there was a weird optical illusion where the bus seemed like it was bending!
After a bit of a walk, we got to our host Steve's apartment, a hilarious guy with a Mohawk/ponytail and glasses who plays electric pop punk rock type music that parodies all sorts of things, he is a programmer for his day job and he is intelligent and fine company, he led us into his apartment which was clad with lord of the rings and periodic table of elements posters and a floor littered with musical equipment!
We ended up going shopping at Aldi and another place called Kruger, where Alexa and I bought several items since we'd be here until Wednesday. Shopping for food on tour is interesting because your budget is low, you don't want to carry a lot generally. Some big items thus far have been peanuts, apples, beans and baby carrots! I bought a cucumber for a quarter and ate it as we walked back to Steve's, lentil soup and beans, both under 75 cents for a can, were also mutual choices!
We walked home and the sun fell so it was brisk! After we had the Gus' chicken with Adam in Memphis the night before, I was craving it and Steve brought up local hoy chicken joints and so I ended up caving in and we went to a nice one window family owned place called Bolton's and I got spicy chicken and slaw and greens and beans.... Absolutely amazing! I think I now have an addiction.
We ate it at home while Alexa had eaten and we shared tour stories as Steve had been on a few trips with bands he had had and we shared laughs and got to know one another before passing out. I have been sleeping on a rather solid futon bed and it took me a while to get to sleep so I listened to Astronautalis' album Pomegranate. It is very unique and innovative and genre-less generally and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys music.
Then the wildest thing happened! As I was tossing and turning I got an email from the woman Pamela who found my lost notebook in Dallas. She wanted to share the story with me of the notebook, she is not actually a Dallas native but GREW UP ON LONG ISLAND. She lived for a time in Selden, where I grew up and has relatives that live currently in Port Jefferson Station, where my dad currently lives!! I am baffled by the serendipity of this, and went to sleep totally numb and unable to explain the beauty and weirdness of such coincidence! I have since decided to write a song about the account for my non fiction album "Water Coolers and Camp Fires".
The world is small when you travel it,
Love you,
AllOne










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Booklist and Recommendations (with links)

DJ BMO & AllOne debut collaboration with "Anima Mundi" Remix!

The Power of Artistry (and art's poignancy in quarantine)